Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bread for Dinner

“Wait a minute… She must have gotten that title wrong.  Didn’t she mean ‘Bread WITH dinner’?”

No, I actually meant “Bread FOR Dinner”. 

The other night I made Mexican Bread.  I haven’t made it in a long time, but it is a great twist on bread that allows you to use your bread as the entree!

I used my breadstick recipe for the dough this time.  Accompany this bread with a rice dish and some salad, and you’ve got a meal!

IMG_8199

Mexican Bread

I got this recipe years ago from an email list.

Make bread dough of your choice, up until baking point.

Saute ~1 lb. of ground meat with onions and bell peppers (I use green and red) until meat is cooked and vegs. are tender.  I used one onion and about one third of a red and green pepper, each.

Drain grease and season with taco seasoning.

Roll out bread dough on lightly greased surface and spread salsa, shredded cheese, and meat mixture over entire surface of dough.  Form into a bread roll and place in a greased bread pan.

Let rise 30-45 minutes in a warmed oven (not with the oven *on*.  I put the oven on 250 for a few minutes and then shut it off).

Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 40 minutes.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment: