Monday, October 12, 2009

Soft and Fast Breadsticks!

There's just something therapeutic about making and eating homemade bread...The kneading and shaping of the dough...The tantalizing smell that sifts throughout the house! It's so comforting! Although I can not make a claim to making much homemade bread (even though it is my goal EVERY winter!, eh hem), I do try to make these breadsticks from time to time. With my bread machine, these are really a cinch. You make the dough in the bread machine, cut and shape the breadsticks, bake them, add any garnishes, and voila! Yummy bread that satisfies everyone's tummy! I received this recipe years ago on an email list I was on (Laine's Letters), and it is listed here from her web site with my notes at the bottom. I know you'll enjoy it!

Blessings,
Lisa

1 c. warm water
3 T. brown sugar
1 t. salt
1/4 c. oil
2 1/2 c. bread flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (can use all bread flour if desired)
2 1/2 t. yeast

Put all in order in the bread machine. Set to dough cycle. Let rise in the machine. Take out and pat into a semi-long rectangle, (about 9x11). Take a pizza cutter and slice lengthwise into 7 or 8 strips. Take one strip at a time and twist a bit before laying on a greased cookie sheet. Do the rest of the strips putting them an inch away from each other on the pan. Cover and let rise. (I do this in a warm place, they rise fast.) Then cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. (If I want thinner breadsticks I cut them thinner and into 14 or 15 strips.) Enjoy!

**Lisa's notes: I cut the dough into about 7 strips lengthwise and then cut the entire rectangle in half so I have about 14 thick breadsticks. After I cook the breadsticks, I usually brush the tops with melted butter and parmesan or cinnamon sugar. In this batch, I made half with parmesan and half with cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment