Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

It is nearly midnight, and I just finished cooking for a pot luck after church tomorrow.  I made chicken pot pie and a batch of cornbread.  (If you haven’t tried the cornbread recipe, you must!  It is so moist and tasty!)

I received this chicken pot pie recipe from my sister-in-law when I first got married.  You see, I didn’t really know how to cook when I got married – gulp!  I have come a really LONG way!!! 

This recipe is great!  You do have to make a homemade crust, but it is worth it – of course!  Also, if you even consider leaving out the mushrooms, don’t do it!  I tried it once, just because I didn’t have mushrooms at the time, and it affected the taste of the pot pie greatly.  The mushrooms add such an earthy flavor.  They add depth to the pot pie!  I have never had anyone turn down this pot pie, even people who do not like mushrooms! 

IMG_6593

Chicken Pot Pie

Double Pie Crust (recipe following)

1 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas and carrots (or mixed vegs.)

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup flour

1/2 t. salt; 1/8 t. pepper

1/2 t. sage, marjoram, or thyme (I always use sage)

2 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup milk

3 cups cooked chicken or turkey

1/4 cup snipped parsley (you can use dried – obviously much less than 1/4 cup)

1/4 cup chopped pimiento (opt.) – I have never used this.

Prepare pastry; set aside.

Cook peas and carrots; drain.

In a saucepan cook onion and mushrooms in butter until tender.  Stir in flour, salt, sage, marjoram, or thyme, and pepper.

Add chicken broth and milk all at once.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in peas and carrots, chicken, parsley, and pimiento.  Heat until bubbly.

Pour into six 10 oz. casseroles or 12x7x2” dish.  (I use a 9x13” pan).

Place pastry on top.

Bake at 450 for 12-15 min. until pastry is golden brown.

Double Pie Crust

2 cups sifted flour (confession, I never sift the flour ;-) )

1/2 t. salt

1/2 cup oil

1/4 cup cold milk or water (I always use milk)

Mix flour and salt.  Pour oil and milk into measuring cup but do not stir together.  Pour all at once into flour mixture.  Stir lightly until mixed.  Divide dough.  Roll out between two pieces of waxed paper.  (Wipe counter with a damp cloth first to keep wax paper from slipping).

No comments:

Post a Comment