Sunday, August 1, 2010

Remembering Peppy

Last night my daughter and I were looking for Peppy, my son’s pet hamster that he just got last Christmas, in his cage.  We could not find him just by peeking around.  After lifting up his house, there we found him, passed on from this life.  It was a shock, of course, even though I had been telling my husband that I felt like something wasn’t right with Peppy.  I was noticing differences – a lot of gray hair, slow movement, not eating much, etc…  I looked at a picture of Peppy on the frig. on Friday, when he was spry just a couple months ago.  In my head I thought, “Something just isn’t right.  I think Peppy isn’t going to make it”.  Sure enough… he didn’t.

It is hard to lose a pet – something you care for and love.  Non pet-owners don’t understand that, but when you give yourself to something, it matters.  It is hard for me to realize Peppy is gone, but even moreso, I feel grief for my son. 

My son wrote an acrostic poem about Peppy for his English assignment a month ago.  An acrostic poem is a poem which is written about a particular topic, and the letters of the word are the beginning of each line. 

Peppy likes to

Eat.

Perfectly

Playful and

Yearning to explore.

IMG_4385 IMG_4402

We remember Peppy and the happiness he brought to us.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am sorry to hear this! I lost my first pet (a hamster also!) when I was 8 or 9 so I understand! Hugs to Zach- and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about Peppy. I remember losing my gerbils and it wasn't fun. :( My condolences to Zach.

    ReplyDelete