Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What to Do When You Are Feeling Overwhelmed

What to Do When You Are Feeling Overwhelmed - The Cozy Nook

I had one of those moments about a week ago. Everything seemed completely overwhelming. Everywhere I looked there was something to “fix”. I felt overwhelmed – physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I thought of what my husband always tells me to do.

Make a List!

First, make a list of the things that are bothering you.

This helps ease your mind, and you don’t have to keep rehearsing your worries. Those trying thoughts now have a different place to reside, on the piece of paper, and you can take your time to work through them.

Second, think about the things you can’t change.

Let’s face it. There are some things you have to accept about life and there are some things you can actually change in your life. Discerning the difference allows you to address both areas: acceptance and action.

The Serenity Prayer offers us peace:

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Third, think of the things you can change and HOW you can change them.

How can you improve your situation? What can you do to make things better?

Last, make a list with some action items for improvement.

Now you have tangible ways to move forward and prevent feeling swamped in the future.

Next time you are feeling overwhelmed, take a break.

Find a quiet place, assess your situation,
and make a plan.

You’ll feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment