Thursday, January 12, 2012

Inspiration for the New Year: Guest Post–The Not-So-Together Mom

Today’s post is from

Lisa of Stop and Smell the Chocolates.

The Not-So-Together Mom

Some days in my world require a Venti Starbucks.  My life really isn't all that difficult - I'm not complaining!  But I'm a Type B C sort of person, laid back and a daydreamer.  Domesticity does not come naturally to me (in fact sometimes I wonder if I might be allergic to housework).  Homeschool Teacher and Chef are not at the top of my list of strengths.  Extreme stacker of paperwork sadly IS a strength.  I'm a procrastinator and a slowpoke and usually at least 5 minutes late.  I'm not so together.  I'm not perfect.  Not even remotely close.

I want to keep my house clean and dust-free.  I want my laundry to always be folded and put away.  I want my floors to shine.  I want all paperwork to be organized.  I want to cook a delicious and nutritious breakfast, lunch and dinner for my family - all in the same day.  I want to be the best and most fun homeschool teacher.  I want to be a wife that always treats my husband with kindness and respect.  I want to be a mother that can solve any problem.  I fall short.

Sometimes the feeling of falling far short of expectations threatens to overwhelm me.  But I try not to let it.  Instead, I work on picking myself up, dusting myself off, and striving to do better.  I know that I will fall short again - probably tomorrow; more likely by the end of this day.  Why keep trying?  Why keep striving to do better when it seems that I am never going to have it all "together?"  Because the Lord has called me to be a wife, a mother, a keeper of the home, and His child.  I know that He will help me to do it all to His glory, even when I'm not so together.

Do you look at other moms and wonder how they do it all?  Or do you look at other blogs and think they must really be on top of things?  Remember that whether in real life or on a blog - you are only seeing an edited snapshot of a life. No matter how it may appear to you, every mom has a time (or maybe all the time) when she feels not-so-together.  None of us is perfect.  And that is a blessing and a comfort!

We're in this messy life together and we can encourage each other as we ask for God's help and strive to do better.  I think He likes us to be not-so-together because then we need Him more.  When we ask for God's help and put Him first in our lives, the rest of it starts to fall into place a little more.  It starts to come together.  And then there is joy.  Joy in the striving and the falling short and the trying again because of Love.  It brings our focus away from not-so-together and brings it toward together-forever, with Him.

I'm thankful for the many ways the Lord has blessed my life and that He helps me daily!  I'm thankful that He loves my not-so-together self.  And I'm thankful for Starbucks and chocolate too.  :)

Are you a not-so-together mom like me?  May I offer you a virtual hug today and let you know that you are not alone in your daily struggles?  Let's help each other to look Up for a moment and find joy.  Let's find the blessings tucked away in our not-so-together world.

Have a blessed day friends!

Lisa  :)

Lisa started blogging as a hobby in April 2008.  She is blessed to be a stay-at-home mom and considers herself an imperfect homemaker.  She blogs about many subjects, including yummy recipes, mainly at Stop and Smell the Chocolates.  She is also a contributor at Pennies and Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post my friend. I know that I fall short all the time. I definitely have my strengths but I have those irritating flaws that make things difficult as well. My post today gives a perfect example of falling short. LOL!
    Love you Lisa!
    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fall short every day too. And my kids see me mess up all the time. But instead of getting discouraged, this reminds me of my need for Christ, that I can't do it on my own and need His grace. Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete