Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Inspiration for the New Year: Guest Post - Live It Like You’ve Got It!

Today’s post comes from Leslie of “Three and Me”.

image

Live It Like You’ve Got It!

It was one of the scariest moments of my life. Our 6 year old daughter was having her third and most severe seizure, right there in my arms. For ten heart wrenching minutes, we pleaded to God to make it stop and to help our little girl. I honestly felt like I could lose her at any moment, frantically watching her breathe and feeling her heart beat out of control. Finally, she stabilized, and after a few hours at the hospital, we were sent home with more questions than answers. Unfortunately, some of those questions were answered a week later, when a doctor told us she had epilepsy.


Even though I figured that would be the diagnosis, it still hurt to hear it. Why did she have to go through this? She had been through so much in six short years- a congenital heart defect, eye surgery, and now this. I was feeling very discouraged and worried.  Immediately, I ran to my friends and family for support, sharing it on Facebook, and asking for advice. I got many encouraging and helpful comments, along with heartfelt prayers. It made me feel better but somehow not peaceful. My husband, on the other hand, was confident and calm, and it bothered him that I "announced" the diagnosis on Facebook as if it were true. What? Um, a doctor told us it was true. Did my husband not see what I saw? I was not only confused, but hurt that he was discouraging me to talk so openly about "my problems". Isn't that what they say helps to get through things? What was wrong with getting support and advice from friends, as well as prayer for our daughter? Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. What right did he have to say that I shouldn't be talking about it like this? Apparently, every right, because unlike me at the time, he truly believed his little girl was already healed.


Therefore I say unto you, what things so ever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. Mark 11:24


If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering, for he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. James 1:5-6


We've all heard the phrase "I believe it and I receive it!”, but do we? Or are we only believing it with our heads, and not with our hearts? If you are still speaking negatively, or in a way that is claiming the problem instead of the promise, then you are not receiving the healing! It is not penetrating your heart. You are still living like you have the problem. I said that I believed my daughter was healed, but then when she'd get a headache or get sick, I'd fall right back into the thinking of "what if". I was like that wave, tossed by the wind.


Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Hebrews 11:1


What is the evidence of your faith? It’s believing the things unseen! In our natural mind, we believe in what we can see. I could see my daughter having seizures. I could see the doctor giving the diagnosis. What I couldn't see with my natural eyes was her healing. That was the thing unseen. Yet that is what God calls having faith. That was the thing I needed to see with my spiritual eyes.


For we walk by faith, not by (natural) sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (my emphasis)


I heard this quote recently, and it really touched my heart:
Faith is the picture of the completed plan that you see in your spirit, and the living out of that plan in obedience as if it is already done.


For me, that boils down to, "Live it like you've got it!" You have to live your life as if the thing is already done, as if your situation is already taken care of, even if that is not what your natural eyes see. To God, it is done, it was done at the cross (Isaiah 53:5). It is up to us to start not only believing and receiving, but believing and LIVING!


So in this new year, will you strive with me to "live it like we've got it"? Will you look at your life through spiritual eyes, seeing what God sees, seeing the unseen? It is the only way that we will truly have victory in our lives.


For verily I say unto you, that whosoever shall say to this mountain, be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe those things which he saith shall come to pass, he shall have whatsoever he saith. Mark 11:22-23


May God bless you this coming year with His healing, His heart, and His eyes!

Leslie blogs at Three and Me.  She is a Christian wife to a wonderful husband and is a homeschooling mama to the “best three kiddos in the world”!  She is learning to follow God's leading in all she says and does, even if that means taking the narrow road.

4 comments:

  1. This kind of goes along with what I posted about yesterday. We "know" we need to have faith and rely on God. But sometimes we just don't "do" it. I want to live like I got it! Love that phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very inspiring, Leslie. I want to live in faith, knowing that God has planned it all, has it under control, and knows far better than us. Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great phrase to remember! Thanks so much for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very thought-provoking post! Thank you!! And can you tell me where that quote is found, who originally said it: "Faith is the picture of the completed plan that you see in your spirit, and the living out of that plan in obedience as if it is already done."

    ReplyDelete