Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Are You Dating Your Husband?

The Jefferies 144

Today is the 14th anniversary of my engagement to my beloved husband.  It is a special day that brings back special memories.  I think of the wonder in our relationship at that time, the awe we had for one another, the butterflies in my stomach, and the love that filled the air!  What a joyous time!

Here and now, we are lucky to make it through each day – or so it seems.  We are raising five children – from teen to toddler, homeschooling our children, juggling my hubby’s hectic job, serving at our church in multiple ways, and trying to live life as God calls us to live.  Life is definitely full and busy!  In the midst of everything, it is easy to lose the fervor in our marriage relationship.  When the days are full of more than enough “care” for each day, evenings are spent separate - focusing on our various duties, and the day closes with a wish that “we could end the day together, and he would get more than four hours of sleep each night”, closeness suddenly seems so distant. 

However, as I reflect upon this wonderful day – the day I betrothed myself to the man I love, I realize once again that I need to remember to date my husband.

No, I don’t have to escape the four walls of my home to do this precious task.  I can simply start within the secret places of my heart.

I can start with a wonderful, respectful attitude that praises my husband and longs to be with him.

I can overlook his faults and our differences and love him utterly and thoroughly.

I can look for small (and big) ways to bless him each and every day of our lives together.

Are you dating your husband?

Make sure you add that to your Christmas “to do” list!

May God help us be superb wives who have intimate and awesome relationships with our husbands – relationships upon which the world will look and see Christ and His church.

Ephesians 5:31-33

“For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”  This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.  Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post of encouragement! Thank you! Chris and I really want to get back to our date nights too, even if it is just watching a movie together at home or a long talk after the kids go to bed. It is so important to have that time to reconnect and share our hearts with one another. BTW, that is a great picture of you and Brian. You guys are such a cute couple! (: May God richly bless your marriage and family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Lisa! I love that it was about HEART ATTITUDE, because that's where it all begins, isn't it. And like doing anything else important, we must be intentional. I love that picture of you and Brian, by the way! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete