Monday, November 28, 2011

Pomanders: A Simple, Festive, and Fragrant Craft

Last week my daughter had a few friends over to celebrate her 8th birthday, and this is what we made:

IMG_0386

Pomanders!

They are very simple to make.  We had a lot of fun making them and absolutely adored the smell!  Of course, we did it in the midst of soothing piano music and lit, apple pie tea candles.  That helps too!

You will need:

  • oranges
  • sharp toothpicks
  • whole cloves
  • cinnamon sticks
  • ribbon

First, think of the design you will want on your orange. 

Then, start poking holes into the orange with your toothpick and fill them with the whole cloves - stem side in, of course.

Once you have created the design you desire, secure a cinnamon stick to the top of the orange with ribbon that you wrap from the base of the orange and tie in a firm knot at the top.  Curl the ribbon, if desired.

Smell the wonderful fragrance and enjoy your creation!

Find a special spot in your home for your treasure.  I hung mine above my kitchen sink.  ~smile~

1 comment:

  1. I remember making those when I was a child! I have never done it with the kids, but you have inspired me. And I think I have whole cloves in the pantry too.... :-)

    ReplyDelete