Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Squash Chips

Remember that crookneck squash I got from my garden?
(The yellow one).
IMG_9397
I finally did something with it today!  I made Squash Chips.
Our family members are not thrilled about squash, so I tried to think of a creative way to use the squash.  I did a little searching online and found the idea to make “chips” out of them.
IMG_9654
 
First I cut off the narrow neck of the squash and removed the pulp and seeds from the large part. 
 
IMG_9656
 
Then I sliced the squash thin and put the slices on an oil-sprayed tray.
 
IMG_9655
 
Next I sprayed the slices with oil and put salt, pepper, and seasoning on top.  In hindsight, I put a little too much seasoning on.  When the slices roast, they dehydrate and become very concentrated, so watch the amount of seasoning you use!
 
Roast at 425 for 15 minutes.  Flip slices and roast for approximately 15 minutes more, until desired crispiness is achieved!
 
IMG_9661
I’m sure you could try other vegetables like summer squash, zucchini, and carrots with whatever herbs you like!
Enjoy!

 

3 comments:

  1. And how did they like them?! :) They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you peel it? Was the skin edible?

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall, the kids liked them. It's funny... my pickiest eater liked them the most! I did not peel the squash, and it turned out well. :-)

    ReplyDelete