Friday, July 15, 2011

Natural Skin and Hair Care–Part Two

First of all, a note regarding my last post on the oil cleansing method:

You do not have to use the method twice a day. I use it once a day, each night before bed. I have read of other women using it less. When I am not cleansing with the method, I simply use water to cleanse my face.


Last time I shared with you how to care for your skin. Today I will share with you a simple, natural method for obtaining soft, clean hair! Just as the oil cleansing method seems to be making its way around the web, the “No Shampoo” way appears to be the newest craze in caring for hair. Even a couple months ago, I discovered that a friend of mine had also started cleansing her hair this way.

So what is “this way” you ask?

IMG_8975

Yes, baking soda and apple cider vinegar!

Some of you are probably familiar with using these ingredients for your hair or maybe just for other cleaning around the house. Others of you are probably shocked and amazed at this combination and wonder why in the world anyone would put this stuff in her hair!

Whatever category you are in, I encourage you to try cleansing your hair more naturally, even every once in a while. This method is economical, natural, and does the job well! I will admit… You don’t feel the lathery, sweet-smelling sensations that you do with normal shampoo and conditioner, and that may turn some of you off immediately. Sometimes, it is a true act of faith, as I rub these ingredients through my hair to get the simple and good results I am looking for. However, in the end, even as my niece testified the other day, my hair feels soft and supplely clean.

How to make your shampoo and conditioner:

I found a couple plastic, squeeze bottles at my local hardware store. Make sure you use plastic because you don’t want to be dropping glass bottles in the shower!

Shampoo: Mix 1 T baking soda per 1 cup of water.

Conditioner: Mix 1 T of apple cider vinegar per 1 cup of water.

I use a funnel to help pour the baking soda and vinegar into the containers.

To use your mixtures:

I always like to shake my bottle well before starting.

Douse your scalp thoroughly with your shampoo. Rub throughout your scalp, especially, and into your hair. Let sit for a minute or two and rinse.

Then douse the mid to end section (not your scalp) part of your hair with the conditioner. Rub into your hair well and leave on for a minute or two. Rinse.

That’s it!

Again, it might take some getting used to this new way. It is a very different experience than using “normal” shampoo and conditioner.

Give it a try and pass it on!

For more info check out Keeper of the Home. She’s got a great video there!

Also check out Stop and Smell the Chocolates. Lisa's got a wonderful three part update to her "No 'Poo" routine!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I've heard about this alot lately and have wanted to try it! Thanks for laying out the ingredients and instructions so clearly! I even have all these things in my house so I am going to make some this weekend! I'll let you know how I like it! P.S. Can you add some kind of nice smelling oil to it to make it smell better or would that make it too greasy?

    ReplyDelete