Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Homeschool Curriculum Review: Horizons Math

Right now I am using two different math curriculums in my home. Today I will review Horizons Math and tomorrow I will review Math in Focus.

IMG_8168

When I was about to decide on a math curriculum for my firstborn son, I did a lot of research. Horizons Math was a more recent development in the math world but had great reviews.

IMG_8172

Here is what I like about it:

*Colorful

*Varied, covering multiple topics per day

*Spiral learning – introduction, review, and reinforcement

*Academically-challenging

The teacher’s edition is very helpful (but I do not use it for the first few grades). Lessons and tests can be graded quickly with the answer keys, and other instructional material – like objectives and extra worksheets – are inside as well.

I do tend to omit some of the problems because there are just too many of them sometimes! Math takes long enough as it is. If my students understand the material, I do not feel they have to be burdened with twaddle. Oftentimes, I will use motivators like: “Do the first half. If you get them all right, you’re done!”

My boys like Horizons Math, and I am excited because the company just came out with a Pre-Algebra course this year. Up until now, Horizons has only gone up through sixth grade.

This post is linked to The Homeschool Curriculum Review Round-Up.


8 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with Horizons. My daughter (9) groaned every time she saw another set of problems. I used the same tactic as you! "Just do every other....get the first row right and you're done, etc." Next year, we will be trying Christian Light Publications Sunrise Math. I've heard great things and I'm hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you recommend the teacher's edition for 3rd grade. I used to be a high school math teacher, so I am guessing I won't need it. Does it have ideas of activities or games that go along with the material?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynette,
    I do not use the Teacher's Edition until about 4th grade. It just makes checking the assignments easier and quicker. Otherwise, I keep it simple and low-cost and avoid the Teacher's Edition. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks :)
    Do the teacher's editions you have used give ideas for activities/games?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teacher's editions do have ideas for activities/reinforcement for teaching, not really games, though. For the most part, the teacher's edition does not "hold your hand" to teach the concepts, but does provide some ideas for reinforcement. Each lesson in the teacher's edition is basically divided into: concepts, objectives, teaching tips, materials/supplies, and activities - all listed on one page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is an old post but are you still using Horizons? And did you ever use or purchase a manipulative kit? My son will be in 2nd grade and we are going to start Horizons soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily. Yes, we still use Horizons. :-) I have never purchased the manipulative kit, and it has worked out fine for us. I wish you well!

      Delete
  7. It just deleted my comment but the point was - Horizons changed in Math 4 and I don't like it as much as I did 1-3, especially the teacher's guide. 1-3 would tell you which flashcards to work on, answers had the whole page, etc, Math 4 does not. After loving 1-3 I'm really sad I don't like 4. We may be switching to TT5.

    ReplyDelete