Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Homeschool Curriculum Review: First Language Lessons

IMG_8016

I started using First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise years ago with my firstborn. I was interested in using an oral approach to language at the time and discovered this book. The curriculum is engaging, interactive, instructional, and varied. It includes aspects of the classical education mindset such as: oral narration, copywork, memorization, and picture study.

Levels 1 and 2, which are included in this book, are good for the first and second grades. I actually lumped my first and second graders together this year, so I didn’t have to teach this curriculum two years in a row. We are just finishing first grade and will probably finish the second grade level before autumn. Note: I did notice that the levels are now split, so you have to buy the grades separately. There are also levels for higher grades, through grade five.

The only down side to this curriculum is that there are times when I have felt it is too repetitive or boring. When I come to a spot like that, I just lump lessons together or skip something. Remember this is curriculum – a tool for your good use!

This post is linked to The Homeschool Curriculum Review Round-Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment