Friday, February 25, 2011

Homeschool Curriculum Review: God’s Design for Science

With homeschool curriculum fairs around the corner, I thought I would start posting about some of the curriculum we use. We are eclectic in our homeschooling, using books from various sources.

I’m starting with our science curriculum

since it is one of my favorites!

IMG_7911

I can not say enough about this curriculum!

“God’s Design for Science” is created by Answers in Genesis, the organization that defends the Christian faith and creationism and is also affiliated with the Creation Museum in Kentucky. The curriculum covers four different areas of study, one each year:

Life Science (pictured above), Astronomy,

Physics, and Chemistry & Ecology.

The curriculum is Bible and creation-based! It’s great to explore the world with God in mind!

You can use the curriculum for 1st through 8th graders. The books give instructions on what to do for each grade level. There is a beginner level for younger children, along with a “regular” lesson for older children. These reading portions, along with various activities and questions, create your child’s lesson for the day. This facet of the material allows you to use the curriculum for up to eight years and also teach multiple children together.

I started teaching Life Science this year with my 5th grader, 2nd grader, and 1st grader. I cover the beginner level with everyone and then continue on with my 5th grader to cover the rest of the subject matter. My 5th grader will go through the curriculum for four years altogether, using the regular lessons. My 1st and 2nd graders will actually be able to use this curriculum for the eight years. The first four years we will go through the simpler level. The second four years we will cover the material at the deeper level. I don’t have to look any further for a science curriculum for at least a few years – when my older child will enter high school. “God’s Design for Science” is an economical choice, since it can be used for so many years.

The curriculum is thorough and easy to use! There are activities and experiments that use fairly normal household items. As the teacher, it is easy to learn along with the student when you read the material to them. You don’t have to review the lessons for a huge amount of time beforehand, since everything is laid out so nicely. A CD-ROM contains all of the worksheets, quizzes, and tests that you need, making it easy to print these items at home when you need them.

My kids and I both love this curriculum! If I could only find a curriculum like this for history, I would be set! ~smile~

For more info., check out Answers in Genesis’ site. There are great descriptions and samples available for you to view.

This post is linked to The Homeschool Curriculum Review Round-Up.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for all the info! We are looking for science too, what a blessing! We just finished "Our Father's World" and LOVED it! So i was hoping to find something like that... thanks agian!!! Btw, do you do science each day? We were everyother and since our book is finished been enjoying random experiments. :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah Beth! On average, we do science about 4 times a week. I'm glad this was helpful for you. I hope you enjoy the curriculum if you get it. If you have any questions once you do, feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, Lisa! I wish it had been available back in the day we were homeschooling!

    Have you ever been to the Museum? Just wondered. We are still hoping to go one of these days. We have neighbors who are charter members so we can get free tickets, so that helps with the overall cost of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, we have not been to the Museum *yet* but are hoping to go some time this year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the same one we use and we also love it! This was our first year using it. Can not wait till next year to do another book

    ReplyDelete