Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pizza Dough – Part One

 IMG_4151

This is a great pizza crust recipe.  I use it all the time.  For the flour, I either use half whole wheat and half unbleached all-purpose flour OR I use all of another favorite flour I find at Costco – Eagle Mills Unbleached All-Purpose Flour made with Ultragrain.  I tried to use half whole wheat flour with this Ultragrain flour, but it was too heavy.  I think I would have to use less whole wheat.  Anyway, try this crust!

This recipe only makes one crust, so I double it to make two crusts for our family of six.  Eventually, I think I will have to make more or at least make breadsticks every time in addition!

Pizza Crust

3/4 c warm water (recipe says between 105 and 115 degrees, but I just make sure it is a little warmer than my wrist)

1 1/2 t sugar equivalent (I use honey)

2 1/2 t yeast

Mix above together in small bowl and let sit 5 minutes.

Meanwhile:

2 1/4 c flour

1 1/2 t salt

1 1/2 T oil

Mix above together in large bowl.  Then add yeast mixture.  Knead until smooth.  Roll out into pizza pan and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Take out of oven, then add your pizza sauce, cheese, veggies, etc., and bake another 15 minutes or until done.

MY VARIATION:  I use my pizza stone.  I heat the oven up to 500 degrees for about a half hour with my pizza stone inside.  I roll the dough out, pinch a crust around the outside, and place on top of a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel.  I cover the dough with sauce and my toppings and slide the pizza onto the pizza stone, cooking it probably for about 5-10 minutes.  It cooks fast!  Basically, you want to keep your eye on the pizza and take it out when the cheese starts to bubble and get golden.  I learned these tips from a pizza video I had watched from the library a while ago, and they sure do help with making a great pizza!!

Also, you don’t really have to let pizza dough rise since you aren’t striving to make a bread.  I will usually make the dough and then prepare the toppings to let the dough rest and rise a bit.  That is sufficient.  You could also roll out your dough and then let it sit for about 15 minutes before topping it if you want to let it rise a bit.

 

SOON I will post “Pizza Dough – Part Two”, which shows you how to make stromboli with it. YUM!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty good, I like a goo homemade pizza crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Lisa. Joel has been craving pizza and I really want to stop buying frozen ones. I will let you know how mine turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good!!! Pizza is on the menu for dinner tonight... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Brian needs Lambie to keep him company in his cave.Love, Mom
    ps hurrah for oxygen producing plants

    ReplyDelete