Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Brainstorming Breakfast

Okay, so I’ve been thinking a lot about my breakfast options, partly because I’m pregnant and unmotivated (especially in the mornings!) and partly because I want good, healthy options, hopefully with more protein.  I like variety and don’t want to spend too much time in the morning fixing food.  We tend to eat pancakes, oatmeal, cereal or scones.  Yep, we’re stuck in the grains!  We don’t eat eggs really because my children and I get stomach aches often from *scrambled*eggs.  I don’t know why.  I read something about how scrambling eggs oxidizes them (whatever that entirely means ;-) ), so maybe that’s why?

This morning I made creamy maple oatmeal that originated from Martha Stewart’s site.  I followed the recipe exactly last time and served it with the dried cherries too which was yummy.  This time I just made a pot of oatmeal and doused it with some maple syrup and a bit of cream.  Then I served it with raisins and glazed walnuts, instructions courtesy of my friend, Maegan.  It turned out well, and everyone liked it.  I was glad to add the raisins for more nutrients (especially iron since my iron is low right now) and also the walnuts for more, you got it!, PROTEIN!  :-)

I hope to post more exciting breakfast ideas and recipes as I continue my journey!

Post a comment:  What do YOU eat for breakfast?

5 comments:

  1. As you may know, we love breakfast, too. We enjoy steel cut oats, breakfast burritos, and cereal. We like any cereal that has freeze dried strawberries in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steel cut oatmeal is a favorite here as well, especially with Maple syrup! Usually we have cereal and toast, sometimes We'll fry eggs or make pancakes. I have a pancake recipe I really like that has more eggs than most, and also cottage cheese. Sounds strange, and it is, but tastes great! It makes a nice substantial breakfast with more protein than normal pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are stuck in the grains! Usually it's cold cereal, toast with peanut butter or waffles. We do eat eggs alot but not always for breakfast. I need to get going on my meal planning all around- breakfast, lunch and dinner! I've really fallen behind and am constantly hitting the 5pm "what's for dinner" wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man. That sounds AWESOME. Breakfast for me was two cups of coffee and some chocolate cookies from last night. Healthy, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat a hard boiled egg on whole wheat toast and a fruit smoothie or a banana.

    ReplyDelete