Saturday, October 10, 2009

Persistence

As I was tucking my daughter into bed tonight, she once again asked me to put her mattress pad on her bed. We had washed it recently. It wasn't dry enough when it was time to make her bed, so we put only the sheets back on. Everything seemed to be fine, so I tucked the mattress pad away until we would switch her sheets again. Well, after seeing her brothers get their beds remade with cozy, comfy flannel and fleece sheets, she thought hers should be a bit comfier.

Last night when she went to bed, I pulled out the mattress pad and said, "Let's put it on tomorrow". Well, sure enough, we forgot to do that during the day, and when bed time came, my daughter was asking again, "Mom, can we put on my mattress pad?" Bed time routines were already done.... She was already tucked in... and I was done for the day. I told her we would do it tomorrow. She then again pleaded, "Please, mom, could we just put my mattress pad on top of my sheets even?" Usually at this point, I would react with "I said 'no'", but this time I gave in with a "FINE, but I'm not happy about this". Once we were done, my daughter crawled into bed with a smile on her face and gave me a huge hug and kiss, saying, "Thank you, Mom. I love you". I realized how much my little act of kindness meant to her. In the end, her persistence produced a reward for both of us.

The Bible shows us that the Lord wants us to be persistent with Him. In Luke chapter 11, Jesus gives the story about a man who knocks on his friend's door, asking for bread. The friend will not give the man bread because he is already in bed. However, "because of his persistence he will rise and give him" the bread (v.8).

Also, Jesus gives the parable of the persistent widow in Luke 18. The widow approaches a judge, who (get this!) does not "fear God nor regard man" (v.2), YET he eventually answers the widow's requests for justice. "...Because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me" (v.5). "Then the Lord said, 'Hear what the unjust judge said, And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them'?" (v.7)

God is a friend, and He is not like the judge! His character is upright, and we can not weary God with our requests and visits with Him. What does the Bible teach us? It teaches us that God wants fellowship with us and that He wants to pour out blessings upon us. He wants to comfort us. He wants to encourage us. He wants to teach us. If we continue to ask Him, will He not answer from heaven? I know this is something I need to call to remembrance!

May we have the diligence and endurance to spend time with the Lord and be persistent in seeking Him. Truly, we need Him.

Blessings,
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Your blog IS cozy, Lisa! I finally had a chance to check it out! I diligently seek out Godly company, and I have no doubt that your inspirations will include that! Looking forward to reading future posts!
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete