Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Family as "Guests"

As I drove by the church, I took note of the message it shouted from its sign: "Treat Your Family As Guests". I have it heard it said many times that we treat those who are the closest to us the worst. Those who live continually with us, day by day, in the same house, taking notice of all of our sins and bearing all of theirs grate us the most, and it can be utterly challenging to love them as we should. As I read the church's sign, all my soul could respond was "ouch". Truly, I fail at treating my household as I would treat my guests. Truly, it is "easy" to welcome friends with a smile, to do my best for them, and to treat them with utmost kindness. However, it is all too "easy" to lose my patience with my family members. May I learn to "Treat My Family As Guests".

Wishing you a home of peace and joy,
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I think about this all the time! It is so true! It is great to be able to be ourselves around family but we need to make sure we don't get TOO comfortable and always be thinking of ways to uplift and encourage our families as we do guests. Great reminder, Lisa! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete