Sunday, March 8, 2015

Why I’m Giving Up My Morning Chore

Why I'm Giving Up My Morning Chore - The Cozy Nook

The morning chore.

It sounds like a good idea.

It was a good idea, and it did work. It helped me feel like the day was starting off on the right foot.

Now, however, it doesn’t feel like a good idea any more. When I wake up in the morning my main priorities are to prepare myself for the day, to get my husband out the door successfully, and to help my children have a successful start to their days.

Preparing myself for the day includes any of the following:

  • Devotions: Bible reading and prayer
  • Exercise
  • Email/computer check-in
  • Shower, dress, makeup, and hair
  • Going over my “To Do” list
  • Eating a good breakfast

Getting my family ready for the day includes:

  • Making sure my husband has a lunch
  • Preparing a coffee for my husband
  • Waking up the children (which can be a chore in and of itself)
  • Feeding the family breakfast
  • Leading a devotional time with my children
  • Keeping my children moving and on track

All of the above tasks keep me plenty busy the first couple hours of the day and trying to accomplish a morning chore has just been stressful. It lessens my momentum for a productive, homeschool day.

To be honest, I am still trying to iron out my chore system, but instead of having a morning chore, I am trying to use the latter parts of the day, especially the evenings, to focus on any necessary chores for the day. Going to bed with a clean house feels refreshing and welcomes the new day tomorrow morning.

Sometimes I DO have to turn a blind eye to things that aren’t done during the early part of the day. I just mark them down on my list for later and try to stay focused on homeschooling well and helping the kids get their work done.

What works well for you?

When do you do your chores?

No comments:

Post a Comment