Monday, September 12, 2011

Making Time for Fellowship

IMG_9574

Is your calendar busy?  Feeling swamped?

Don’t have time for extras? 

Life can be very full at times.  It seems like a person can hardly come up for air.  There is a lot vying for our time, yet I want to encourage you to think about your priorities and to make sure you have time for them. 

For the past few weeks I have had a few different opportunities come my way to fellowship with others.  At first, I admit, I wondered how I could fit something else into my schedule.  My mind starts to weigh out the plusses and minuses, and Brian intervenes and says, “Let’s do it!”  Each time I have committed myself to a time of fellowship, I have felt encouraged and blessed.  I may not be able to go as long as I want or as long as the event lasts, but I am happy to break out of my routine and rub shoulders with others. 

God made us to need one another.

We need each other for encouragement, comfort, strength, advice, and plain ol’ fun! 

The Bible heeds us to spend time with one another:

Hebrews 10:24-25

“And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”

(I realize this verse is usually applied to corporate worship, but I think it is applicable to fellowship with the Body of Christ, in general).

This world can be pretty discouraging at times, but God gives us something to lift up our hearts – fellowship with those who love Him and follow His ways. 

I challenge you to do two things:

1)  Say “yes” next time you are invited to someone’s house or another event for fellowship.  Make it work somehow, even if you have to propose another day.

2)  Find a spot on your calendar within the next month to invite *someone* over to your home or elsewhere.

Make time for fellowship in your life!

It is the glue that holds us together and the grace that enables us to plow forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment