Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Smoothies–Healthy and Decadent

I like smoothies, especially during the summer, as a refreshing treat.  They are also good as a snack for the family or to give a boost of energy!

The first recipe I am going to share is for all of you health nuts!  If you want to find a way to eat your blueberries and spinach at the same time, this recipe is for you!

IMG_8245

I got this recipe from a friend of mine who found it in a healthful book she has been reading since Christmas.  I wish I had the name of the book for you right now, but I do not.

Blueberry Spinach Smoothie

1 cup of frozen blueberries

1 banana

handful of spinach ( I prefer baby leaf… It isn’t as bitter.)

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder

1 cup of water

*optional – sometimes I add vanilla yogurt (I used about 1/3 to 1/2 cup, and it was delicious.)

This quantity makes about 4 or 5 small servings, like the one in my photo.  I add a bit extra of everything to stretch it to make six servings.

The next smoothie is not quite as healthy, but it is extremely decadent!  If you are longing for dessert, you could turn to this smoothie for a healthier option.

IMG_8659

Peanut Butter Smoothie

original recipe found at “Keeper of the Home

Serves 4 to 6

2 cup milk (sometimes I need to add a bit more milk when it is blending to thin it out a bit and make it easier to blend).

1/2 cup peanut butter

2 Tbsp cocoa powder

3 Tbsp honey
4 frozen bananas, broken into chunks

Blend all together! YUM!

3 comments:

  1. We LOVE smoothies!! I often have one for breakfast or lunch.

    Both these recipes look yummy!! And any greens would work in the first one. Right now we have lovely garden lettuce and I threw some in my lunch smoothie today. (Frozen bananas, goat kefir, baby lettuce greens, protein powder, and a few peach slices.)

    The second one is still pretty healthy if the peanut butter is all natural (just peanuts). :-) Cocoa powder isn't a bad thing. I've used carob powder, too -- there's something about peanut butter and carob that makes it taste incredibly like chocolate, particularly for anyone who can't do cocoa for some reason. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh yum! I LOVE smoothies but they are *usually* filled to the brim with sugar. These sound like better, healthier options to try. I am not a huge peanut butter fan but with the bananna in there it sounds pretty interesting, lol. I hope to try both, sounds like the first one is pretty rich in nutrients and hey, I can always use a boost of energy!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! been wanting to make smoothies! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete